Have some questions or queries in mind? Contact our support experts to get all the answers you need! Just email us at support@govtotal.com or call us at (888) 462-4118
Form SS-5
Form SS-5, or the Application for Social Security Card form, is the form required by the United States Social Security Administration (SSA) to apply for a Social Security card. You may use SS-5 to apply for a new (original) Social Security card, replace a lost, damaged, or missing card, or correct or change information on your card.
What is Form SS-5?
Form SS-5 is available for all U.S. born citizens, all foreign-born U.S. citizens, and, in some select instances, noncitizens with special authorization from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Please note that you must present original documents or certified copies of documents to be eligible for processing.
Eligibility requirements for SS-5 are straightforward.
You must provide the following when applying for an original Social Security card for a U.S. born citizen:
  • Original birth certificate OR certified copy of birth certificate;
  • In the event your birth certificate is not available, it may be possible to submit one of the following: a U.S. passport, a U.S. hospital record of your birth, or a religious record showcasing your date of birth
  • Proof of identity
  • Current, non-expired document with your name, identifying information, and photograph if possible. Common forms of identification include a U.S. passport, a U.S. driver’s license, or state-issued ID card.
  • In lieu of the above, you may be able to present a U.S. military ID card, school or employee ID card, or health insurance card.
A U.S. born citizen applying for an original Social Security card must provide two documents to prove U.S. citizenship, age, and identity. A U.S. born citizen applying for a replacement Social Security card must provide one document to provide their identity.
Changing or Correcting Your Information
If you’re looking to correct or change the information on your Social Security record (for example, changing the name on your social security card), you will need the following:
  • Proof of citizenship ONLY IF you have not already established citizenship status with the Social Security Administration
  • If you have not done so already, an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport are the easiest ways to establish citizenship
  • Legal proof of name change, such as a marriage document, certificate of naturalization, court order approving the change, or divorce decree
Quick Tip - The Social Security Administration can use one document for multiple purposes. If you have one, your U.S. Passport is sufficient as both proof of citizenship and proof of identity.

You are limited to a maximum of three Social Security card replacements in a given calendar year, and 10 per lifetime. Corrected Social Security cards (for example, in the event of a name change) do not contribute to this limit.
Interactive Form
1. Name to be shown on card
2. Full name at birth if other than above
3. Other names used
4. Previous Social Security Number
5. Place of birth
6. Date of birth
7. Citizenship
8. Ethnicity
9. Race
10. Sex
11. Parent/ Mother's name at her birth
12. Parent/ Mother's SSN
13. Parent/ Father's name
14. Parent/ Father's SSN
15. Filed or received an SSN card before?
16. Name on recent Social Security card
17. Different date of birth
18. Today's date
19. Daytime phone number
20. Mailing address
21. Your signature
22. Your relationship to item 1
Frequently asked questions about the Form SS-5
Where do I go to get a Social Security card?
Search for your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office or start your Social Security card application online. You may call the SSA directly at 1-800-772-1213 or visit the official website at www.ssa.gov. Alternatively, GOVTOTAL can help you for all your government form needs.
How can I prove my Social Security number without a card?
You may prove your Social Security number with any number of different documents that may include the following:
  • DD214
  • NGB 22
  • W-2
  • SSA-1099
  • Bank and/or loan statements
  • Financial documents
  • Paystubs
How fast can I get an SSN?
You should receive your Social Security card seven to ten business days from the time of your application. Please note that this timeline is contingent on the applicant having provided all necessary information and documentation. This timeline does not account for delays in processing.
Download Form SS-5
Download Form SS-5